dhokla by my friend Manisha
- 1 1/2 cup sour yoghurt
1 cup water
1 tsp oil
1 tsp green chilly paste
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp sodium bi carbonate
1 pouch eno
1/2 tsp lemon juice
turmertic powder 2 tsp
2 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard
2-3 green chilly
1/4 cup vineger
1/2 cup water 2 tsp sugar
- Sieve the gram flour. Mix it with the yoghurt and keep aside for 2 hours.
- Add the ginger and green chilli pastes, turmeric powder, salt to taste, lime juice and sugar and enough warm water to make a batter of pouring consistency. Mix well.
- Divide the batter into 3 equal portions.
- Prepare the steamer and grease a square/ rectangular pan to steam the dhokla in.
- Divide the fruit salt/baking soda into 3 equal portions and add one portion to a portion of the batter. Mix well. Pour this batter into the greased dish and put it into the steamer.
- Cook till done - when you touch the surface of the Dhokla your fingers should come away clean.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, adding the fruit salt/ baking soda to each batch of batter just before steaming.
- Allow the steamed Dhokla to cool slightly and cut into 2" squares.
- To temper, heat the oil in a wide, thick-bottomed pan and add the curry leaves, mustard and sesame seeds and green chillies. Fry till the seeds stop sluttering. Pour these into the warm water. Sprinkle this mixture all over the prepared Dhokla. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with the chopped coriander and serve with Tamarind Chutney